Monday, March 31, 2008

Training

Went out for my first training cycle yesterday with a reluctant Ems (see picture). The main aim was to ensure that my average speed estimate was okay and to test out the new kit. We hadn't even left the house and already the panniers were clipping my heels, so I moved them backwards only to find that they then occasionaly rubbed on the wheel. Next problem was that the compass went haywire. I suspected it was the close proximity to my mobile phone and sure enough it behaved itself once the phone was removed. Other niggles that I will have to look at this week include a creaking handlebar, clunking pedal, clipping on the stand, flapping mudguard and a dodgy connection on the trip computer. At least that's all for just now.

We managed the first run at an average of 10.5mph which is will be a fine speed for the JoGLE.

Another aim for the trip yesterday was to see if I could bag a few more Geograph squares along the route. What's a Geograph I hear you say. It's a Ordnance Survey sponsored website that aims to get at least one photograph for every 1 sqkm in Britain. Have a look at the website for more info. I managed to get another 5 sqaures and have planned to get some more soon on my training runs. There are a few I could get in Caithness at the start of the JoGLE, but I may have to go off the beaten track a bit to get them.

No comments: