Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sunburn, midges and blisters

I just got back yesterday from walking the West Highland Way with Emily and our friends Emma, Iain, Ann and Neil. We took 6 days to walk the 95 miles from Milngavie to Fort William. We could have knocked off a day, but one of the places we were going to stay let us down. However there were some great places to stay along the way, especially the Ewich Guest House near Crainlarich. A really great B&B.
On the hike we passed through some of the country that I'll be cycling through in a couple of weeks; Loch Lomond, Crainlarich, Bridge of Orchy, Glen Coe and Fort William. The A82 looked very busy going north and at the weekend so I'm glad I'm going south and passing it during the week.
We started planning this walk last year and have been out on practice hikes near Braemar, Aboyne, Glen Esk, and Glen Glova since January. I'm not sure that I am fitter from all the walking, but I certainly feel older. Apart from the general exercise I think the only real practice for my JoGLE was eating the full breakfast each day

2 comments:

Cactusnic said...

One challenge is clearly not enough! Impressive!

The Smiley Milers said...

HI Stuart, Damian from the Smiley Milers here. Your Blog is great and I must admit I will be nicking ideas off you if you don't mind. Thanks for leaving your message on our blog (http://smileymilers.blogspot.com/)Good luck with your ride and I will continue to read you blog as you start your ride. I will be adding our route to our blog this week so it will be good to compare. Never been to Scotland so reading your comments about the roads etc is very useful. Cheers Damian